Let's explore the world of esxDOS software for ZX Spectrum 48KB and 128KB/+2A/+3 computers (and compatibles, incl. ZX-UNO) with DivIDE, DivMMC, DivSD storage interfaces or the MB03+ Ultimate interface.
Download: 36.2 MBytes 7zip archive (updated 2021-02-14)
Every piece of software is split into normal single zx-files with (or without) +3DOS FAT headers. You can copy and move these files both on your Linux, Windows or Apple computers as well as on the original ZX Spectrum and use same SD/CF cards between them.
The good news is that emulation files and old-storage legacy files, like TAPs or TRD images, are not needed at all. Thanks to the esxDOS, new software supports LOAD/SAVE files directly from/to SD and CF cards.
Copy the whole content, all directories and included files, to a FAT32 formatted CF, SD or MicroSD card.
NOTE: Do not copy SYS and BIN folders, if you are using another version of the esxDOS system.
The software archive consists of:
- full setup of the latest esxDOS v0.8.8 (with the MMC-16files-in-directory-fix)
- 400+ games
- utilities and programs
- more DOT commands for esxDOS: OPEN, CLOSE, TE, EXTRACT, DZX7, ...
- data files: pictures, character sets, system and game-roms, tunes etc.
- extras for MB03+ Ultimate interface, incl. RTC.SYS file
Enhanced software for various HW add-ons (or a single MB03+):
- Timex screen modes (HiColor, Hires + up to 4 VideoRAMs on 128k models)
- HiResColour graphics 512*192 pixels with 64*48 attributes
- second VideoRAM on 48KB models
- ULA+ (color palette with 256 colors) and HiResTrueColour indexed palette
- enhanced GigaScreen without flickering! (also on 48KB models)
- KeyLayer: 2-screens-mix in any graphics mode via a transparent color
- COVOX, Soundrive, SpecDrum (stereo 4bit and 8bit sample based music)
- General Sound (4channel stereo Amiga MOD music for ZX Spectrum)
- TurboSound AY/YM/FM chip (up to 3 sound chips and 9 channel music in total)
- Philips SAA1099 sound chip (6channel music compatible with SAM Coupe computer)
- CustomROM (ZXS+2A/+3 compatible ROM, also on 48KB models, 8x16KB ROM, 4x16KB + 1x64KB or 2x64KB)
- Z80-DMA accelerator chip (data transfer speed up to 866KB/sec)
- WiFi ESP8266 module for internet connections, file transfers and printer connection
Games and programs with native esxDOS SAVE/LOAD support
esxDOS tips and hints
- alternative NMI menu: NMI handler and file navigator, with joystick navigation, POKE features and more
- alternative NMI menu: File Browser, with LFN support
- /SYS/CONFIG/ESXDOS.CFG: AutoBoot=1
loads /SYS/AUTOBOOT.BAS file only on cold start (set "2" for every warm start and "3" for both).
- /SYS/CONFIG/ESXDOS.CFG: DMA=1
speeds up data transfers on DivIDE, DivMMC and MB03+
- a manual for the system text editor .TE
- patched, bugfixed and improved ZX ROMs
esxDOS related webpages
Speed test (esxDOS v0.8.7): Try the HQ Digital Audio Player Demo by LMN128 in the MB03PLUS/LMNHQDAP folder. It takes only 1:27 minutes to load 15 megabytes of data into the MB03+ in the DivMMC mode. A direct access to files stored on FAT formatted SD cards is super-fast.
DOT-commands of the esxDOS v.0.8.8
File handling 2
.CD ... change directory
.CP ... copy
.LS ... directory
.MKDIR ... make directory
.MORE ... view
.MV ... move/rename
.RM ... delete
.CHMOD ... set attributes
.FILE ... filetype
.SERCP ... serial copy
.DIVIDEO ... divIDE only
.LAUNCHER ... for TAP files
Unofficial DOT-commands for esxDOS
.BASLOAD ... aka .L
.LAUNCHER ... for BAS files
.TE ... text editor
.TAR ... in development
.PLAY ... tunes as on the +3
.KZX ... view keyboard layout
.TESTRAM ... 48/128k ram tester
DOT-commands for specific hardware
.MBDMA ... Z80-DMA switch
.MBJOY ... Kempston switch
.MBROM ... set customROM
.MBRTC ... in development
.MBSAA ... SAA1099 switch
.MBTMX ... Timex Gfx switch
.MBULA ... ULA+ switch
...to be completed
...to be completed
.GS ... in development
helps you work more comfortably in ZX BASIC and esxDOS, using these enhancements:
- DIR (renamed CAT) at the place of the COPY keyword
- tilda sign at the place of the pound sign
- abbreviated keywords (RAND, CONT, GOTO, SCR$ etc.)
- cursor movements in EDIT zone up and down
- INPUT, LET, PRINT, OUT, IN hexadecimal numbers, up to &FFFF
- several small bugs in original ROM repaired
It is a slightly patched version of the ZX Spectrum ROM and all its improvements are very small and hardly interfere with the old ZX ROM code at all, thus guarantee (unlike most modified sophisticated ROMs) a high compatibility with ZX Spectrum software.
ZXDIR ROM does not contain modified BASIC commands. Nowadays new cmds can be performed otherwise, by the esxDOS "DOT-commands" stored in the BIN system folder.
esxDOS-compatible patched ZX ROMs
! comments ? questions :
8bit # samcoupe * cz